by Jocko Willink
Be responsible for everyone under your command and all of your actions. It is your responsibility if people under your command underperform. Start problems by asking what YOU can do to fix them.
OWN EVERYTHING YOU DO. NO BAD TEAMS, ONLY BAD LEADERS.
PROVIDE AND ASK FOR ALL INFORMATION THAT IS NEEDED.
Help people to understand the WHY
”If a leader does not believe, he or she will not take the risks required to overcome the inevitable challenges necessary to win. And they will not be able to convince others.”
Laws of Leadership
- Be accountable. Take full responsibility for your actions.
- Standards are what you accept Do not accept sub bar performance (especially of yourself).
- Communicate the why Everyone must understand the reasons and the goals, else doubt will kill motivation.
- Stay Simple Clear to understand means easy to follow. This increases the chances of success.
- Prioritize Take on the most important tasks first. Exclude everything unimportant.
- Decentralize Command Trust people to make decisions in their departments.
- Stay on track Don’t stack and stay disciplined.
- Understand and analyze. Identify the end goal.
- Decentralise the power, find key leaders in your larger team to help plan the best strategy.
- Ensure everyone understands.
- Understand the possible outcomes. Have backup plans if stuff goes wrong.
- Delegate where possible.
- Keep with the plan but add new information.
- Implement a de-brief to discuss lessons learned and things you could have done better.
affiliate link ↩